The Medieval Hall in the shadow of Salisbury Cathedral spire


The Medieval Hall is situated within the 80 acres of world famous Salisbury Cathedral Close
in the southern English County of Wiltshire
and lies approximately 250m from the West Front of the Cathedral.

‘There is no doubt in my mind that Salisbury Cathedral is the single most beautiful structure in England
and the Close around it the most beautiful space’

‘Notes From a Small Island’ by Bill Bryson.
 
The Hall from the West
The Medieval Hall is the Banqueting Hall of the first house to be built in the Close.

It dates from the first half of the 13th century when the construction of the cathedral itself commenced. Both The Medieval Hall and the Cathedral celebrated their 750th anniversary in 2008.

Built as the original Deanery, 60 Deans occupied the residence in succession for a period of about 700 years until 1922 when the then Dean moved to a smaller property. The ‘Old Deanery’, as it was known thereafter, became part of an educational institution.

It was carefully and sympathetically restored in 1963.

The Hall was acquired by the present owners in 1983.
 

There is documentary evidence dating from the year 1274 which is a Deed of Gift from Bishop Robert de Wykehampton establishing the age and provenance of the building - the following is an extract:

‘Robert de Wykehampton by Divine mercy Bishop of Sarum desiring to honour the Decanate, we assign, grant and give for ever those our houses in the Close of Sarum, which we were accustomed to inhabit when Dean in perpetuity to the same Deanery and Deans for the time being for ever.’

A pamphlet published in 1963 at the time of the building's restoration describes, in detail, its history and architectural significance. A copy is available on request.
 

The Medieval Hall is designated by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport as being a building of ‘outstanding interest’ (Grade 2*). It is one of few surviving examples in England of a 13th century ‘open hall’.

The fine oak timber framed roof spans 31ft (9.45m) and represents the epitome of structural engineering of the period.

The raised dais for the ‘High Table’, the ‘Screens Passage’, the ‘Central Hearth’ together with a ‘Smoke Hole’ in the roof above, the three doorways in the back wall which originally led to the domestic offices, the extremely rare preserved fragment of original 13th century painted wall decoration - are all important features of this unique medieval building.
 

The Old Deanery was completely restored in 1963 including the fine timber framed roof of The Hall itself which was carefully re-built.

The Hall underwent extensive refurbishment in 1982 and again in 1995.

It has been conscientiously maintained and remains in excellent condition and maintenance costs are correspondingly low.
 
The Hall from the East
The property is Leasehold until the 28th September 2104 and is available immediately subject to existing bookings and commitments or with vacant possession 12 months from exchange of contracts.
The lease also allows for the use of the communal gardens which surround the property as well as Fishing Rights (two rods) on the River Avon which flows close by the property. View from the river (Circa 1890)
 

The Hall is not only an important and significant building
which is much sought after by those who wish to visit from an academic interest,
it has also regularly been a special venue for:
 
       CONCERTS OF MUSIC
             THEATRE PRODUCTIONS
                   EXHIBITIONS
                         LECTURES AND TALKS
                               CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS
                                     CIVIL CEREMONIES
                                           RECEPTIONS
                                                 DINNERS
                                                       BANQUETS
 
An Exhibition of Persian Carpets A Chamber Music Concert A Bride & Groom depart A Wine Tasting
 
A Medieval Banquet
The Medieval Hall has been granted the necessary licences required by law for the following activities:

1. Premises Licence - allowing for public entertainment including music, dancing, theatre and for the sale of food and alcohol
2. Premises Approved as a Venue for Civil Marriages and Civil Partnerships.
 
.
The Medieval Hall is the only privately owned venue in the Cathedral Close and so enjoys a unique status and is recognised as a valuable asset to the City and neighbouring district.

It has the flexibility to be adapted to a wide range of commercial activity.
 

Potential purchasers of The Medieval Hall may wish to acquire a residential property nearby. Opportunities to buy houses and apartments within the Cathedral Close often arise. A number of these are located in the vicinity of The Hall.
 













Nearby Properties













 
For further infomation, contact the owners:
JOHN & JANE WADDINGTON
    The Medieval Hall
    The Cathedral Close
    SALISBURY
    Wiltshire
    England
    SP1 2EY
        The Medieval Hall Office
        The Bridge House
        10 Shady Bower
        SALISBURY
        Wiltshire
        England
        SP1 2RG
 
Telephone: 0044 (0) 1722 324731
Email: info@medieval-hall.co.uk Web Site: www.medieval-hall.co.uk